Friday, September 11, 2015

Scratch Corned & Pastramied Brisket / Weber Ranch Kettle

This is my recipe and method of corned and pastramied beef brisket and the cooking and smoking process was done on my Weber Ranch Kettle.

 photo DSC03131.jpg

The meat was four beef brisket flats and the average weight was 7.1 pounds each. The four bowls contain my corning rub which is a blend of Morton Tender Quick, brown sugar, fresh ground black pepper, dried parsley, dehydrated onion, sea salt, pickling spice, and ground cloves. The mesh bag contains 2 pounds of garlic. The four quart containers are filled with the brine which is made up with water, Morton’s Tender Quick, brown sugar, and garlic powder. 

 photo DSC03134.jpg

I trim the fat off of each brisket flat and then cut each flat in half for my process. 

 photo DSC03137.jpg

Next step is to inject about 3.0 oz. of the brine into each pound of meat. 

 photo DSC03133.jpg

 photo DSC03136.jpg

This is the two pounds of garlic which I have put thru the Suzy and you can’t really have too much of this great seasoning. I will use 1/2 pound of the garlic on each brisket flat.  

 photo DSC03138.jpg

 photo DSC03139.jpg

After the meat is injected, I pack on the garlic to both sides of the meat and spread it around being very careful to not push any of the brine out of the meat. I then add my corning rub to all sides of the meat. 

 photo DSC03141.jpg

The meat goes into Zip-Lock bags and then into the fridge for 4-5 days. I turn the meat over about twice each day. 

 photo DSC03146.jpg

On smoking day, I take the meat out of the bag and then wash all the rubs and garlic off each piece under a running sink faucet. The meat then goes into a pan of water to soak for about an hour. 

 photo DSC03147.jpg

The meat comes out of the pan of water and then is dried off with some paper towels and then placed on drying racks for about 40 minutes to finish drying.

At this point, we have some wonderful corned beef brisket.


 photo DSC03148.jpg

 photo DSC03149.jpg

 photo DSC03152.jpg

The final rub is made up of gobs of fresh cracked black pepper, fresh cracked coriander seed, and brown sugar. I apply it to all sides of the meat before it goes onto the smoker. 

 photo DSC03150.jpg

I set the Ranch Kettle up using four of the Weber charcoal fences with two on each side and then load about half a chimney of Stubb’s cold charcoal on each side. I then heat up about 2/3 of a charcoal chimney of  Stubb’s and pour about half of the chimney over each side of the cold coals. I then add some hickory chunks for my smoke and I am ready to cook. 

 photo DSC03153.jpg

Place the meat on the Ranch Kettle and start the cook.

 photo DSC03154.jpg

I did have to add a little charcoal once as the cook took about 9 hours to finish.

 photo DSC03157.jpg

I smoked the brisket flat pieces to about 185 degrees internal and this is what they looked like when I started getting them off the kettle.

The meat was covered in foil and cooled for about an hour and then the meat went into the fridge overnight as I like to put the meat thru the slicer cold. However, I did slice enough off with a knife for a sandwich.


 photo DSC03158.jpg

 photo DSC03159.jpg

My first sandwich with this wonderful treat was about a half pound of the pastramied beef on rye bread with 4 slices of Swiss cheese and then a generous helping of horsey sauce over the top of the meat. Add a dill pickle spear and some chips and enjoy.

 photo DSC03160.jpg

 photo DSC03161.jpg

The next morning, we put the meat thru the slicer. Sure looked great. 

 photo DSC03163.jpg

 photo DSC03164.jpg

We then vacuum sealed the meat into one pound bags for the freezer.

My 28 pounds of brisket flats netted me 12-1/2 pounds of corned and pastramied meat. 


 photo DSC03165.jpg

 photo DSC03166.jpg

My second sandwich was a pastraimed Ruben made with about a half pound of the meat along with 4 slices of Swiss cheese, some fresh made kraut from a neighbor, and some Thousand Island dressing on a couple of pieces of buttered rye bread. I placed the sandwich into a hot cast iron skillet and fried it for a few minutes until done. Served with some garden tomatoes, a dill spear, and a pepper.

Now that is some good stuff!


For the folks that need my exact recipe for this wonderful treat, it can be found here:

http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/2012/09/corn-and-pastrami-beef-from-scratch_11.html




No comments:

Post a Comment